Saturday, April 23, 2011

Doggy Diet

My last day of work was almost a week ago, so I've had an entire week to spend my time getting ready for the big move.  There are endless things that need to get done....rent out the condo, arrange to ship the car, book flights, find a storage facility, ship our personal items and the list goes on and on.  Of course, with this list comes all kinds of worries and concerns.  I mean are we really going to rely on the United States Postal Service to get our boxes delivered to an island?  Shipping aside, my biggest concern is my dog.

I have 2 dogs, actually.  I have a small Labradoodle and a much bigger Vizsla.  While I love them both dearly, I'd be lying if I didn't say that I favor the Vizsla, Oakley.  Oakley was mine before I moved in with my boyfriend, and I've had him since he was puppy almost 7 years ago.  What can I say?  I'm a total sucker for him, and I could probably write an entire blog on him alone since he is the quirkiest dog I've ever met.  Seriously, I won't be surprised if he gets bit by an iguana the first week we're on the island.   

My concern is with regard to the airline policy about flying dogs.  There are several rules and regulations that have to be followed, but the weight restriction could be a problem.  The airline's policy is that the crate and the dog cannot weigh over 100 lbs.  Unfortunately, my furry friend has struggled with his weight a bit over the past year.  The last time I weighed him, he had gone from a fit 65 lbs to a hefty 76 lbs, which made the vet think he had a thyroid problem.  I think he's slimmed down some since then, but the crate is probably at least 15 - 20 lbs.  I'm going to be cutting this very close.

So, Oakley is going on a doggy diet.  I'm cutting a whole cup of food out of his daily grub.  While I realize that this will only make his begging habit worse, it's better than being stuck at the airport trying to pay off a feisty and undeserving airline attendant so my rather thick dog can make it to my new home with me.  Otherwise, I may have to put Oakley on a kayak, point him in the right direction and hope he eventually makes it to St. Thomas.

1 comment:

  1. aww...poor oakley. my dog is a fatty too. it's because she's so lazy, she's the only dog at the park that will be laying down while all the other dogs are playing.


    maybe he's just big boned.

    ReplyDelete