Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Moving Day Misery

Monday was moving day, and I had food poisoning.  By experience I can confirm that there is no worse combination than moving with food poisoning.  Ugh.

I can't help but feel somewhat responsible for my own misfortune.  After all, when faced with the fact that I was moving away from one of the best food cities in the United States, I made it my weekend mission to eat as much as possible of all of my favorite foods.  I had stuffed pizza, Kimchi fries, Korean BBQ tacos and several Indian dishes.  In addition, I had countless drinks at my going-away party on Saturday night, including one large fishbowl that contained some sort of blue concoction.  It was gluttony, and I was loving every minute of it.

So, it shouldn't have been much of a surprise when I woke up at 1:00 a.m. on Monday with the most intense feeling of nausea.  I'll spare you the details, but the rest of the night wasn't pleasant, and I got very little sleep.  It was all I could do to get up when my alarm went off at 6:00 a.m.  In fact, I was so sick that it took me about an hour to shower, get dressed and strip the bed.  By that time, there were only about 30 minutes left until the movers arrived. 

While the movers did their job, I spent my time taking Pepto Bismol and trying to find a comfortable place to lay down in my increasingly empty apartment.  I finally found some refuge in my closet where I proceeded to shut the door and lay down in the fetal position on an old comforter.  This was rock bottom for me.

Once the place was packed, I muscled up enough strength to drive to the storage facility and wait in my car while the movers packed the storage units full.  By the degree of exhaustion I was feeling, you would have thought I had physically moved my entire apartment all by myself.  And, in some sort of Black Swan weird way, I kept wondering if the movers resented me for my apparent laziness.

Finally, by about 2:00 p.m., when the moving was done and the loose ends were tied up, I was able to lay down once again.  I desperately blew up my Aero Mattress and past out for a few hours before passing out again for the night at around 8:00. 

1 comment:

  1. Awful. I feel sick just thinking about all that.